Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Welcome new baby, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc, etc...yeah it's been a while

Fast forward to October 15th 2007...I went to my ob/gyn for my 39 week check-up. I was 2 cm and 80% effaced. My doc was going out of town for a conference the day I was due (Oct 19th), so we decided to induce at midnight Tuesday night. David and I arrived at the hospital at 10:30 pm and waited for it to be time to fill out paperwork. Seth spent his first night away from me in his life. He stayed with David's mom and dad. We began the obligatory paperwork at 12:00 am. I was hooked up to a low dose of pitocin by 12:30 am. Contractions started, but were mild at first. At 5:00 am the pitocin was increased every 30 minutes until max dose was reached. My epi line was inserted at 7:00 am, but no medicine was given until I asked for it. The contractions got stronger and longer until I decided I wanted the medicine. The medicine was given at around 11:00 am. It didn't take completely, but we decided to take the wait and see approach. Steph and Cheryl visited throughout the day and David's parents and Seth stopped in to see us. Tonya came by to get Seth for the day while Meemaw had to work. The doctor came by to check my progress at lunch and decided he would return to break my water at 4:00 if I hadn't progressed. Labor continued and continued and continued. I was still somewhere between 2 and 3 cm and 90% effaced. Well, 4:00 came and my doctor got delayed...so 4:00 became 5:00. My epidural had started wearing off. I decided I would accept some more medicine...just enough to take the edge off. Well, the second dose seemed fine at first, but resulted in numbness on my right side from head to toe. I was having deja vu from Seth's birth because the same thing happened. The epi was turned off and I waited for my doctor to come break my water. He was delayed a few more times and finally arrived at 8:00 pm. I was finally at 4 cm when he broke my water. He went home to eat dinner, and my labor fast-tracked. I felt the urge to push, so the nurse checked me...6-7 cm. They called my doctor back in, but in the 10 minutes it took him to get there I had progressed to the baby crowning. The team barely got completely set up before I had to push. Whether or not I pushed...she was coming. After 21 hours of labor and only 5 minutes of pushing, Sophie Elisabeth King made her entrance into the world. She was beautiful and perfect. She was born at 9:00 pm weighing 7 pounds 8 ounces and 20 inches long. My recovery was wonderful. Since my epidural did not do it's job...it was so easy to push her out, resulting in an easier recovery. We had dozens of visitors over the next two days. Seth spent his second night away from me and then he spent the night with us in the hospital. The nurses all loved him. He is quite the charmer. All was well and we went home on Friday afternoon. To see pictures of Sophie in the hospital and recent pictures of them both visit my shutterfly account at http://www.sethandsophie.shutterfly.com/

In other news...Sophie is now 4 months and 10 days old and Seth turned 2 over 2 months ago. Life has been quite a blur since Sophie came. Seth is talking in sentences, jumping with both feet off the ground, climbing everything, running everywhere, and being busier than ever!!! Sophie is smiling, laughing, cooing, blowing bubbles, rolling from her belly to her back, sleeping most of the night, surviving her brother's aggressive behavior, and wrapping her daddy tighter around her finger every day!! It is truly something special, a bond between a father and his daughter. Seth and David have become best buddies. His daddy is his hero. Every time David has to leave, Seth cries for him and talks about him non-stop. It breaks my heart.

Now for the tooth update...Seth finally, at the age of two, got his other lower incisors. He has also cut two of his four canine teeth (the top two). I have never seen such slow teeth in my life. I wonder if Sophie will follow suit. She did not follow in his hair footsteps. He lost all of his hair he was born with and she has kept most of hers. His also was blond by now. Hers is still brown...golden brown which makes me think it will turn blond sooner or later though. So far, knock on wood, it has been a relatively healthy winter at our house. I have been sicker than anyone else, probably due to sleep deprivation from having a new baby in the house. I have had a sinus infection, mastitis, my second ever hemiplegic migraine, an allergic reaction to my contact solution, and a nasty respiratory virus which was much like a mild flu.

We went to Hickory, NC, for Thanksgiving. Seth turned 2 the 13th of December and had his party at Chuck E. Cheese's again. It was so much fun for him! We spent Christmas Eve at Ron and Naomi's and Christmas Day at David's mom and dad's house. We spent New Year's in South Carolina with Anna and Randy. David turned 29 in January and I turned the big 3-0 in February. This is both Seth and Sophie's first leap year!

Both of our kids have now been to Disney World, Seth for the second time. It was the first time he actually enjoyed it though. I flew solo with both kids and we all rode back in David's semi. It was definitely an adventure!! Well, I am tired and have much to do around here....it's tax season and my house is a mess as well...I'll try to do better keeping updated, but I can't make any promises!

No comments: